After a long day of hiking, writing a full journal entry sometimes takes more energy than we have. As a quick way to remember the main points of each day, daughter and I try to capture “My Three Good Things” plus one negative each. I’m not a fan of baseless positive thinking…but watching for things that bring joy helps to reframe even difficult days.
We thought you might like to read a few of our favorite things from our first week on the Appalachian Trail:
- “Trail Magic” … water given to us when we ran short
- Daughter sings and tells stories to keep our spirits up
- Fascinating critters to spy along the trail
- Hot food tastes soooooo good!
- Rainy days!…cool while hiking, time to hang out in the dry shelter
- It’s getting easier…even on steep terrain
- “Trail Magic”…oranges are amazing on a hot day
- Family drove to visit us along the trail
- Encouragement from on-line friends (yes, your comments really do matter!
- A pizza party! (I can’t even get pizza delivered at home…)
- Meeting so many fascinating people
- Hanging out with others around a dancing campfire
Negatives include such things as aches and pains, being sooo exhausted, and walking in wet boots.
(Read HERE about joys from home while we are backpacking)