My residential training has finally started! Wondering what I’m doing each day on this Intensive Retreat? Here is a peek at the Training Schedule for this 8 day course which kicks off the 6 month certification program to become a Forest Therapy Guide. (This week started off with the extra challenge of heavy rains for the first 3 days and 2 nights of training … much of which is outdoors!)
The Intensive Class is always located close to a Nature area with good trails to experience guided Forest Therapy walks. I chose to apply for the course which is being held at a metro-park in NW Ohio. This is only a few hours’ drive from my home. To save money, I am tent-camping at a nearby campground. (You can see a list of course locations HERE.)
Day 1 (Saturday Sept 8) – Arrival Afternoon – Introductions and Orientation to the Training Schedule and Curriculum Goals.
Days 2-3 (Sun/Mon) – First Experiences
- Mornings: Teacher led Forest Therapy Walk and Tea Ceremony
- Afternoons: Debrief the walk experience, using a mapping process
- After Break: Content Session (Lecture, Q&A, Discussion, Experiential Activities)
- Evening: More content
Days 4-5 (Tues/Wed) – Practicing Skills
- Mornings: Participants guide each other on a Forest Therapy Walk & Tea Ceremony
- Afternoon Sessions: Same training schedule as above, learn more “invitations” and guide skills
- Evening 4: Group campfire to share personal nature stories
Day 6 (Thurs) – Honing Skills
- Learn more Forest Therapy techniques and skills
- Prepare to guide a public FT walk with 1-2 other participants
- Prepare for our 6-month practicum, completed locally via Skype under the guidance of an instructor/mentor.
Day 7 (Fri) – Put It All Together!
- Morning: 2-3 Participants work together to lead public Forest Therapy walks (My piece is to make the forest tea and guide the closing Tea Ceremony for our group.)
- Afternoon Sessions: Debrief and more content sessions
Day 8 (Sat) – Conclusions
- Morning: Structured solo experience with time to reflect on the week and to consider personal goals
- Afternoon: Content Session/Q& A time
- Closing Ceremony (and group photo, of course!)
THANKS SO MUCH TO SUPPORTERS!
I very much appreciate the encouragement and the donations from family and friends to get me to this point. I am excited to finally move forward toward being a certified Forest Therapy Guide and starting a practice of my own to help others connect with Nature.